Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What's So Great About Dogs?

I went to an event once in which I was selling my books about dogs, as well as my thrillers and book of inspirational quotes.  I had displayed a sign that said "A portion of the proceeds will be donated to animal rescue."  This has been my goal since I began writing books about dogs in 2010, starting with Finally Home: Lessons on Life from a Free-Spirited Dog. 

 This wasn't a dog-related event, so I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in my books about dogs, however, many people stopped by and were interested.  While everyone was friendly, I did have a woman come to me and ask a question-one in which I thought was very bizarre.  She asked, "Why so many books about dogs?  What's so great about dogs?" 


It wasn't the first time I had been asked that question by a non dog-lover.  Needless to say, each time I'm asked, I don't know how to respond.  It's not that I can't explain it, because like all of us dog-lovers, I can rattle on for a day and a half about all of the amazing things dogs do and why I love them so much, but I don't know if I should explain it.  Will the inquisitor ever really understand?  Will they get something from the conversation?  Some might.  Those who really are interested might.  But those who ask in a condescending manner might not be so apt to really hear what I'm saying. 

 

So, how did I answer this woman?  I gave her a brief summary.  And, for those who already know the greatness of dogs, I'll share that summary with you.  I'm sure you'll find yourself nodding in agreement. 

I love them because they possess complete and absolute loyalty.  They love without barriers, they love without hesitation and they love with everything that makes them whole.  They reserve no judgment and hold your heart in their paws taking great caution to shield it from any kind of pain.  They cuddle when you want to cuddle, console when you want to cry, and play when you want to laugh.  They speak not a word of your language, yet their conversations with you speak volumes.  They hold no grudges, so you need not ask for forgiveness.  I love them because they are the epitome of innocence, the purest of angels in the body of a canine.  And I stick up for them because they can't stick up for themselves. Why do I love a dog?  I ask you, what's  not to love?

 

That is the summary that usually leaves a person nodding their head, not quite sure of what to say next but hopefully walking away with a slight curiosity if those words were really true.  Hopefully they walk away with a better understanding.  But one could only hope. 

I write thrillers because I love exploring the darker side of my mind.  I love seeing how far I can stretch the imagination, seeing my characters come to life.  I love writing about characters I love and characters I love to hate.  There's a certain thrill in not only reading thrillers, but writing them as well, but I also love writing books about dogs.  Some of my dog-related books are non-fiction and /or humorous, while others are fiction that are based on fact.  I hope to bring awareness about dog rescue, dog abuse, puppy mills and the importance of adopting a dog.  

By writing these books about dogs, if they prompt at least one person to adopt, then it has all been worth it.  If just one person opens their eyes the next time they walk into a puppy store and realize they are looking at the workings of a puppy mill, then it will all be worth it.  If we can end dog abuse and make the laws stricter...then, yes, it will all be worth it.

So many wonderful people contribute to helping dogs and all I can do is give a virtual thank you to everyone.  There are people who spend numerous hours in a rescue group, or fostering dogs, or doing administrative tasks for dog rescue.  There are those who donate their time, money or both.  Every little bit helps a great deal and I'm proud to associate with these types of people.

 It's true that dogs can't speak for themselves.  They can't tell you where they hurt.  They can't describe their past to you.  They can't tell you they don't want to fight or that they don't want to be abused. They can't call the police or signal for help.  That is where we all come in.  To be their voice and to make sure that their needs are met.  We're here to make sure that in the future, they'll be less dogs on the streets and more relaxing in the confines of a warm and secure household, sitting on the lap of their favorite family member. 

 

Thank you for reading and for doing all that you do!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment